Derby 8 – April 15
1. Colonel John: Moves to the top of the list after last weekend’s preps. Worked four furlongs in :47.40 over the Santa Anita main track on Monday. Trainer Eoin Harty plans to ship the colt to Churchill next week.
2. Big Brown: Still a little hung up on his feet and inexperience, but he does have speed.
3. Gayego: Ran the final eighth in :12.68 after chasing quick early fractions in the Arkansas Derby.
4. Z Fortune: Cycling back into form? Can’t say he’s not bred for the distance or lacks preparation.
5. Tale of Ekati: Wood winner looks better after the ugly Blue Grass knocks out Big Truck and Cool Coal Man.
6. Eight Belles: The Derby would be her first race against the boys, but the way the field is shaping up, that might not be a problem.
7. War Pass: Credit for how game he was in the Wood. Might not fold easily in the Derby.
8. Pyro: Can’t see him winning the Derby off the Blue Grass, not matter how he works, but can’t see leaving him out of exotics either.